Thursday, January 4, 2007

Architectural Critique: Scripting Misuse

I found some Rhinoscripting studies while surfing the web that I was particularly disheartened with. The website shows a studio from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and what appears to be student projects in which math functions are the basis for structure/home design. Here are examples of what I DON'T want to do.

















Here we have math functions in their purity and complexity making singular forms that get transformed into buildings that simply don't work very well or would work much better if they were developed in different ways. Not to be too harsh but the above example simply works against the very premise of wild parametric design by including distinctly uniform and standard floor slabs. In addition, despite the variations that each student shows faded into the background the math functions aren't flexible for local conditions. What it amounts to is form exploration for its own sake, not for better design.

Granted this is all my superficial reaction to this work in that I haven't taken the time to read the studio premise or any individuals goal. But this is a blog and I get to say what I like. So step off.